Dave White from our Risk Services team shared this article on preventing one of the most common accidents in a kitchen or restaurant: "Non-slip goes Non-traditional", from the blog Speaking of Safety at www.speakingofsafety.ca.
In the article, Susan Main talks about the new Crocs Bistro: Kitchen Chef Work Shoe. Many foodservice employers require employees to invest in a non-slip shoe as part of their uniform. In addition to non-slip shoes, there are several easy and inexpensive ways to prevent slips and falls:
• Cleaning floors regularly
• Cleaning up spills immediately
• Keeping floors free of water and grease
• Posting warning signs around spills or wet floors
• Using slip-resistant waxes to polish and treat floors
• Installing non-slip tiling or other non-slip floor products
• Using rubber mats in areas where the floors are constantly wet
The article also provides a link to a booklet from WorksafeBC, on "Health and Safety for Hospitality Small Business".
- Kris Hawk